I Want a Child

Every gathering of Indian aunties somehow winds up on the topic of the success and failure of their children. It was at one such event that I overheard my mother’s friend speaking, once again, of her son’s latest success. I did not miss the bitter look on the others’ faces as she spoke. It then occurred to me that I too would like to have a child.

I want a child who is responsible. My child must wake up before me, cook breakfast, pack lunch, wake me up, and ensure I get to work before going to school. However, my child must never be late to school, must stay on top of schoolwork, and graduate high school with at least a 5.0 GPA. My child must go to an ivy league because I have invested too much time and effort for anything less. My child should be invested in at least 15 extracurriculars, speak 5 languages (fluently), start a non-profit that is successful, and still have time to take care of me. I want a child who will take care of me when I am sick. A child who will take care of any other children I may decide to have so that I can focus on my career and personal success. My child should look after me when I come home tired from work. My child should give me massages if I wish for them. The child must become a billionaire so that it can support my lavish retirement life. The child should be willing to give up its time and effort to cater to my needs once I grow old since I raised it. My child will be connected to my image so my child should maintain a good social standing, marry who I tell my child to marry, and not embarrass me in front of anyone. I want a child who will make all the Indian aunties quiet with awe at how perfect my child is.

And wouldn’t that be nice – to see those Indian aunties quiet for once.

                       

                                        


Signing off for now,

Reality Sucks




Comments

  1. I liked how you adopted the writing style of the person we talked about in class. I also liked how your examples got more extreme over time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how you chose to mostly refer to the child as "my child", showing how it ultimately always comes back to you the parent and everything is or your benefit, completely disregarding the child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked how you structured your piece in a similar manner to Brady's, with more exaggerated examples over time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love your blog. The structural adaptation from Brady's pieces made it even more interesting. Also the Indian Aunty gathering. I love how relatable it is too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Final One

A Letter From My Mind: What is left for us?