The Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera Model (thanks a lot dad)

I always find it strange when I see parents tell their young daughters not to play with what are considered toys ‘made’ for boys. When I was young, my parents never bothered to make such a distinction, even when I showed more of an interest in a car than a doll house. It wasn’t that I didn’t enjoy playing with dolls, it’s just that I found cars to be more fun. I felt that cars were so much more relatable than dolls because I hadn’t really been exposed as much to the world of television where Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse reigned supreme. Instead, I enjoyed the fun that came with car rides. It represented, to my young mind, a sense of adventure. It meant that we could go anywhere we wanted to and all we had to do was get in.

In fact, I could very much blame my dad for my addiction to cars. He had a collection of model cars that were displayed all over our house, so I basically grew up around them. I distinctly remember the black Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera being the car of my dreams and my personal favorite to steal off the bookshelf and take for a ride. Regardless, it’s a fact that I’ve never felt the need to distinguish between toys as meant for specific genders. I grew up playing with all kinds of toys and in the end, I still had fun with them.



Signing off for now,

Reality Sucks

Comments

  1. Cars are weird. That's my only thought

    ReplyDelete
  2. The vars stereotype is so real. My cousin and I used have a collaborative collection of every single hot wheels car either of us got and my cousin is a boy but me being a girl got alot of comments say "wouldn't you rather being playing with dolls or something". I didn't understand why then and frankly i still don't now but it just proves that the stereotyping is real and it affects everyone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Want a Child

The Final One

A Letter From My Mind: What is left for us?